CBIT covers a 14-county region known as the North Country Adirondack Region, one of New York State’s most rural and dramatically beautiful landscapes. This region encompasses 38 percent of the geography of the state and is home to 1.26 million people living in 255 small towns and 14 small cities. This northernmost part of the state benefits the whole Northeast as a renewable energy exporter: over 95 percent of the electricity generated in the region is from renewable sources; as a major food producer, with agricultural products accounting for close to $1 billion in market value annually; and its long-term globally recognized success in sustaining wild places and rural quality of life in an increasingly urbanized world.
Although largely rural, the Adirondack North Country lies within a day’s drive of 90 million people, and sees an estimated 9 million visitors each year, coming from New York City, New England and Canadian cities.
Counties: Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, St. Lawrence, Saratoga, Oneida, Oswego, Warren and Washington Counties.
The North Country Region and the Adirondack Park offers unparalleled outdoor recreation throughout its dazzling lakes and streams, wild mountains, and inviting towns and villages. It is estimated that 7-10 million tourists flock to the park yearly. There is ample opportunity for kayaking, hiking, skiing, and exploring the beauty of the natural landscape. To the west of the Adirondack Park lies the Thousand Islands Region. Located on the border between NYS and Canada, the Thousand Islands Region is home to stunning views, world class fishing, and historic lighthouses and castles. In addition to the Adirondack Park and Thousand Islands Region, visitors to the North Country can explore Eastern Lake Ontario, the St. Lawrence Seaway, and Lake Champlain for stunning views, rich history, and a unique culture.
Small Business Development Centers:
Other Economic Resources:
Chambers of Commerce:
- Newcomb Chamber of Commerce
- Schroon Lake Chamber of Commerce
- Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce
- Westport Chamber of Commerce
- Wilmington Chamber of Commerce
- Adirondacks Speculator Region Chamber of Commerce
- Indian Lake Chamber of Commerce (closed temporarilty due to COVID-19)
- Town of Long Lake
- 1000 Islands Clayton Chamber of Commerce
- Cape Vincent Chamber of Commerce
- Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Watertown-No. Country Chamber of Commerce
- Henderson Harbor Chamber of Commerce
- Boonville Chamber of Commerce
- Mohawk Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Rome Chamber of Commerce
- Trenton Area Chamber of Commerce
St. Lawrence County
- Canton Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Massena Chamber of Commerce
- Potsdam Chamber of Commerce
- St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce